MADONNA) // (CHILD

MADONNA) // (CHILD
So Strong; yet so calm: Mary's Choice.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Methodism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Methodism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Although Methodism is declining in Great Britain and North America, it is growing in other places; at a rapid pace in, for example, South Korea. In these new places, it often takes shapes that diverge from its roots. For example, the Arminian heritage is ignored or simply unknown, and an exclusive, neo-Calvinist emphasis is played up. Many such denominations highlight Methodism's traditional emphasis upon holiness.

As of 2005, an estimated 75 million people worldwide belong to the Methodist community, however the number has gone into steady decline in the West, especially in North America, where an increasing number of people are leaving the mainline churches to join theologically conservative denominations.

Almost all Methodist denominations are members of a consultative body called the World Methodist Council, which is headquartered at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina, in the United States.
***
"It is not for me to say who is a Christian
and 
who isn't."
~(Brother Fish)~
During one of our many phone conversations between me and my mother in Arkansas, was surprised hearing this answer given by pastor of First United Methodist Church of Prescott Arkansas. 
 Mother told me how Brother Cross showed up in Prescott loaded with enthusiasm and positive optimism,
 really believing he could infuse new life back into this Methodist Church of my childhood;
building back up it's congregation.
Eventually,
 moving on bitterly disappointed having thought himself an utter failure;
unable competing with Prescott's thriving Baptist Churches.
As much as I liked, thought extremely brave, the answer given by Brother Cross
responding to a question asked by my mother; believe I'm now able understanding part of the Methodist Church's problem competing with other churches for new members.
Where I grew up as a child...
everything pretty much 
"you is"
or
"you ain't." 
First United Church of Prescott, Arkansas 


My father,
CHARLES DENSEN AVERY, MD
front row, far right,
posing for Sunday School Class picture in front of same church I grew up with first 18 years,
the most impressionable years, 
of our lifes.

Over the years,
during many phone conversations with my mother still living same childhood home,
still active with the Methodist Church,
we were always discussing issues relating to our church.
Being that my mother didn't want to know anything relating to my alternative lifestye,
we had to talk about something as there's not much left. 

Discussed a lot of politics as well; and current events making the news.
  
She wasn't even a Methodist,
until my dad taking to church,
my mother, my sister, and my brother,
just to network for his business;
having just returned to his childhood home to start his own practice.

When hearing my mother telling this story, I hadn't even born yet, he never went back again.
A local doctor was killed in a car wreck;
 my dad...
almost overnight a thriving business.

"JESUS! COME TAKE ME HOME!"

Those were my father's last words, according to my sister, just before he died.

Again I ask,
although labeling myself a radical atheist,
did I ever stop being a Methodist?

My father never went back to church!

Did he stop being Methodist? 

No comments: