MADONNA) // (CHILD

MADONNA) // (CHILD
So Strong; yet so calm: Mary's Choice.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

BERT! COULD ALMOST SWEAR SHE SAID, PHIL?!

Researching G. Robert Gary, Sr. ThD, trying to get as much information as I can in preparation for court hearings regarding an email's violation of Bob and Janet Gary's restraining order against me, a violation that took place over two years ago and still waiting just for the court arraignment where I plead guilty or not guilty, accidentally came across G. Robert Gary, Jr. assigned to Owl Rock UMC.  

Was not convinced this Bert Gary was the same guy I saw rocking in that red rocking chair many times front porch of Bob and Janet Gary's home directly across the street from my house; always in a foul mood until Bob Gary pulls into their driveway returning home from work.

Not until I came across the name of his last surviving grandparent, Susan Segers, the inspiration for one of Bert's blog entries about resurrection, did I realized this was Janet Claire Segers Gary's mother.

All of what I've read so far, 
very interesting; 
especially the book JESUS UNPLUGGED and his blog INFINITY NOW.  
Was not expecting this.

Until now, 
the impression I was having of Bert (Phil when mentioned in any of my other blog writing) had been three possibilities:

1.  Lost his faith in God.  Although Janet denied this by claiming everything was okay,  not going to take this one off the table as a possibility.  Of course they are not going to admit this to me, if true.  But it would be stupid of them to act as if unaware that preachers do lose their faith in God all the time and continue to preach to an unknowing congregation because it's all they know how to do; sometimes even unknown to their wives.  

2.  Unable to compete with his father's reputation.  Disappointment/ frustration at churches expecting as talented a "thou artful dodger" as G. Robert Gary, Sr. ThD when taking on Rev. G. Robert Gary, Jr. as their pastor.  

3.  Or, just no longer willing to play that game.  What's the point of being a pastor if not really able telling your congregation what it is you think they need to hear; when it's all about keeping the pew as full as possible and keeping the offerings (hush money) coming in.


Not sure what to think about Rev. Bert now.  
Maybe it a little of all three.  
The impression I'm getting of  Bert now certainly doesn't sound like any Methodist preacher I've ever heard before.




About Our Pastor | Owl Rock United Methodist Church: Our pastor, Rev. Bert Gary, is the author of “Jesus Unplugged.” His new book, “Heaven for Skeptics,” is currently at the publishers.  He has written a commentary on the Book of Revelation that is under development. Bert has taught dozens of college and church groups in the Middle East with the Jerusalem Institute for Biblical Exploration (http://www.jibe-edu.org ) and the Society for Biblical Studies (http://www.sbsedu.org/ ).  He directed the Course of Study for Ordination at Wood and Millsaps Colleges in Mississippi for eleven years.   And he has served as pastor of Newton, Magee, Flora, and Marvin United Methodist Churches in the Mississippi Conference.  Bert is a frequent writer and consultant for Plain Truth Magazine. His articles, podcasts, and videos are viewable at http://www.ptm.org A native of Atlanta where he graduated from Emory University with degrees in music, psychology, and theology, Bert has returned to Atlanta to train in chaplaincy and pastoral care and counseling. Bert has three children:  Martha (25), Will (23), and Anna (19). You may find Bert at http://www.facebook.com/bertgary , http://www.myspace.com/bertgary , and http://bertgary.blogspot.com .





About Owl Rock


Owl Rock United Methodist Church 1828 Sesqui”Centennial 1978

The Owl Rock United Methodist Church, located at 5880 Campbellton Road, S. W., Atlanta, at the intersection of Union Road, was organized in 1828. It is on land ceded from the Creek Indians, January 8, 1821, to form the original county of Fayette. On December 20,1828, this portion of Fayette went into the creation of Campbell County, and remained so until Campbell merged with Fulton County, January I, 1932.

The third and present sanctuary was built by the members of Owl Rock in 1879. The belfrys and vestibule were finished as an attractive addition in 1906. The west wing of the Sunday School building was completed in 1949, and the east wing with Fellowship Hall facilities in 1956. To date Owl Rock has been identified with five phases of Methodism in Georgia: as an Associated Methodist Church, 1828-1830; as a Methodist Protestant Church, 1830-1916; as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1916-1939; as a Methodist Church, 1939-1968; as a United Methodist Church, 1968 to date.

The present pastor is Rev. Henry Norris and to the best of records available is the 114th pastor.  

In June 2010 Bert Gary came to us as our new Pastor.



***

There is much emphasis in the church today—by laity and clergy—on being respectable, nice, and presentable. Yet where in scripture did Jesus say that we should make being well-dressed and well-behaved priorities? Is the church guilty of reducing Christianity to mere social etiquette? The Jesus of scripture rejected these priorities with word and deed. This book goes back to the original passages in the Gospels that reveal not a cautious, image-conscious Jesus, but a provocative, politically incorrect cage-rattler for whom appearance and reputation meant nothing. It examines the original Gospel passages that are regularly avoided or sanitized by pastors, teachers, and writers exploring those times when Jesus said no and when he disturbed the peace. There are profound implications in understanding that the Jesus of the Bible is no passive pushover, but a vigorous truth-warrior who slays falsehoods with a sharp, double-edged sword. Intended for adults interested in! knowing Jesus better and well-suited for personal reading or small group study. Jesus Unplugged is a provocative, accurate, biblical re-examination of Jesus.




Bert Gary Biography

BERT GARY is a writer, pastor, and lecturer. He has taught regularly in Israel/Palestine/Jordan since 1994. He has also taught in Turkey and Greece. For eleven years he directed and taught in two United Methodist graduate programs for local pastors for the Jerusalem Institute for Biblical Exploration (formerly the Jerusalem Center for Biblical Studies) and for Candler School of Theology at Emory University. Bert teaches in the Middle East now through the Society for Biblical Studies. He has degrees in theology, psychology, and music from Emory.

Bert is in his twenty-sixth year of ordained ministry, he is currently writing for Plain Truth Magazine, and is a chaplain in his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia. He has three children ages 26, 24, and 21---Martha, Will, and Anna.

Among Bert's other passions are archaeology and ornithology.

His next book, Heaven for Skeptics, is in editing.

*******************
La-de-da, so that's your basic, boring bio. Now for the jazzy stuff:

I broke my neck when I was five years old, but didn't find out that it was broken until I fell on my head again at the age of thirteen. So my neck was broken and unprotected for 8 years, during which time I played football and did double flips on our family trampoline---affectionately know as The Injury Machine.
Falling on my head a lot as a child didn't seem to affect my intelligence so much as my common sense. However, a person with intelligence usually doesn't flunk out of high school, an honor I managed to achieve in 1976, though not an honor my parents typically bragged about at family reunions.

I was more interested in girlfriends and music than in Senior English---the required course that I failed just in the nick of time to prevent my graduating with my class.

The irony is, of course, that you may have already read Jesus Unplugged not realizing that I failed high school English composition. Briarcliff High School no doubt excelled in teaching it, and I was from time to time in attendance at English class there within her hallowed halls---when I wasn't drinking beer and bowling---and yet English, especially the task of writing well in English, horrifies me to this day. If you read my book and understood it, then there is a God.

Man, I'm 51 years old and I've only covered to age 18 here so far. If I keep writing, do I get extra credit?

OK, so I'll abbreviate.

College was weird.

Seminary was weirder.

I got married, had three kids (grown now), and not married any more.

I "pastored" (Is that a word? I failed HS English, you know. My spell check tells me to change it to "pastured", but I think that's something else.) four churches over the last 26 years, and taught at 2 colleges and in the Middle East. All of that was hard work, and most of it was rewarding.

Anyway, I'm blogging a lot and writing a lot of other stuff too, some of which gets published.

The moral to this story is: If you get dropped on your head, just flunk English and start writing.

---Bert

***


Photo of “Minkie,” Christmas 2000(?) with clockwise from left: me, bro Mike, sis Susan, bro Bill.

I no longer have any living grandparents. Homer Gary died of pneumonia in 1936 so, sadly, I never knew him. Gussie Gary died at the age of 96 in 1992. Bob Segers died of a heart attack at the age of 82 in 1986. And Susan Segers died in her sleep shy of her 100th birthday on November 1, 2007.

As firstborn grandkids often do, I nicknamed my grandmother.





***


The following email is one of many I sent to Janet Gary during a year long period I now refer to 
as 
DEAD MAN WALKING.

Did not get a reply to this one either.

Reconciliation: Triangulation
Tue, June 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

From:  James Avery
To: Janet Gary

have not heard from you; so you may or may not have received my emails. Until I hear from you....I don't know what to do next. It makes a big difference.

Where women go wrong today:

making a big mistake believing men are gentlemen, even their own husbands and sons; rather than laws holding men back.

I'm on your side Mrs. Gary. And, we can't count on laws always being there to protect us.

Don't be like Angel Wise telling Senator Reid to, "man up."

Not wise one half of two taking advantage the upper hand; the other one able although not always...raising two objections.

I came up with that last one. Did it make sense? Just want someone to check my math.

Between me my bother and my sister....that makes me... zero,five, & seven.

I put some stuff in mailbox. Please take some time reviewing them. Maybe your son could be of some help. You once mentioned in an email me meeting him. I believe it's time. I need someone unbiased. I don't know who it is in your household....we are tip-toeing around. It is either your simpleness, Bob's pride, or your son like me.....between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe....if I could read some of your son's writings; that would help me a lot....just to know.... you and Bob
.
Sincerely,

Jim Ed


No comments: