Many of Atlanta’s gay in-town neighbors are thought to drive up property values with home improvements. But one has his DeKalb neighborhood seeking relief from him. Not because James Avery is a “gay progressive.” Because they think he’s batshit crazy.
You’ve heard about them. You may have them, knock on wood. It’s those crazyass neighbors who leave Christmas decorations up all year, post ranting homemade signs all over their yards, rail against the world and go on vendetta campaigns against neighbors who don’t even live there any more.
DeKalb’s Code Compliance Division has “numerous complaints” on file. A fed-up neighbor sent an appeal directly to DeKalb CEO Burrell Ellis to say Avery’s particular brand of nutso is driving down property values and even that “people are afraid to walk past the property.” But the signs and yard rants remain.Meet James Edward Avery (photo), who’s on a one-man mission to soil the reputation of good gay neighbors everywhere. Residents on Mason Mill Road near Emory are at their wits’ end over the homeowner who fancies himself the rabble-rousing Lorax of Dr. Seuss fame, according to the AJC.
A fresh take on LGBT news, events and photos in metro Atlanta.
The most visited website for gay and lesbian Atlanta offering a fresh take on LGBT news, events and photos.
For gay men, lesbians, transgender people, and all of those that make up our queer village, Project Q Atlanta provides a distinct take on the news, information, events, attitudes — and the juicy dish and buzz — that impact our lives. We combine the authority of traditional journalism with the tone and sensibility of today that makes you feel right at home.
Readers of Southern Voice named us Best Gay Blog in 2009, and we were again named Best Gay Blog in 2010 and 2011 by readers of the GA Voice. Creative Loafing named Project Q Best Sign That Gay Media Is Still Alive in September 2010, and Fenuxe Magazine readers voted us Best LGBT News Source in 2011.
Project Q Atlanta aims to be a major part of your queer media diet by offering breaking news, opinions, fun takes on pop culture and entertainment, an interactive community calendar and event photos for LGBT readers across the metro area and beyond.
And it’s not a one-way affair. We aim to provide an engaging experience that connects and interacts with you. There are stories to tell, and you should participate.
Like the word “queer” itself, Project Q Atlanta is evolved and stands for so much more. It’s a commitment to keep you informed and entertained while you go about living your life.
Project Q Atlanta. It’s gay. It’s today. It’s Atlanta.
TWISTEDPURPLECOW.BLOGSPOT.COM: Lorax of DeKalb County(?)
About the Author
- Launched undercover investigation proving Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) and her husband Marcus own a clinic, Bachmann & Associates, that practices “ex-gay” therapy
- Organized the American Prayer Hour, an event which shined a spotlight on the role American evangelicals played in the introduction of Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill.
- Led successful campaign to have Apple remove Exodus International’s “ex-gay” iPhone app
- Conceived and coordinated the American Prayer Hour
- In a joint investigation with South Florida Gay News in 2010, Besen exposed JONAH’s Arthur Goldberg as a Wall Street con artist who served time in jail for stealing millions of dollars
- Photographed Focus on the Family’ “ex-gay” poster boy John Paulk in a gay bar on Sept. 19, 2000. Before his downfall, Paulk had been on the cover of Newsweek, 60 Minutes, Good Morning America and Oprah.
- Helped Uncover Rev. Jerry Falwell’ personal HIV+ ex-gay leader, Michael Johnston, picking up men on the Internet and having unsafe sexual relations. Johnston also worked with the American Family Association and Coral Ridge Ministries. He was forced to step down and enter a sex addiction facility in Kentucky.
- Helped orchestrate the public “coming out” of ex-gay poster boy Wade Richards, who was working with right wing activist Peter LaBarbera, Love In Action and Saviors Alliance for Lifting the Truth (SALT).
- Revealed that PFOX’ President, the ex-gay therapist Richard Cohen, had been kicked out of the American Counseling Association.
- Spoken at more than 100 universities, churches, business groups and community organizations on this topic, including University of Vermont, Harvard Law School, Arizona State University, University of Connecticut, and University of Florida.
It is the policy of TWO to employ and promote personnel regardless of the foregoing characteristics. TWO is resolutely committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employee relations, including employment, salary administration, employee development, promotion and transfer.
IF YOU GO TO THE ACTUAL ARTICLE, YOU WILL SEE THAT EVEN "PLASTIC" WAYNE BESEN REJECTED MY COMMENT TO HIS ARTICLE REGARDING REV. PHLEPS...?
THIS COMBINED WITH PROJECT Q NOT EVEN GETTING MY SIDE OF THE STORY FIRST BEFORE PUBLISHING THEIR ARTICLE ABOUT...
"Meet James Edward Avery (photo), who’s on a one-man mission to soil the reputation of good gay neighbors everywhere"...?
AS MY STORY, IS OUR STORY, NOT AN EASY STORY TO TELL...?